Search This Blog

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Speaking from the heart

     T H E    I N S T I T U T E    F O R    A P P L I E D    M E D I T A T I O N
     The Home of Heart Rhythm Meditation -- for Personal and Global Harmony

Dear Jeanne,

Speaking from the heart means several things to me.

It means that the stream of energy that comes out of your mouth as speech is connected to the emotional-energetic center that is your heart.

Speaking from your heart is natural. It's authentic. It leads to statements that are true, because you speak your truth and own your feelings.

I've had to do a lot of public speaking in my life, in my former career as a professor of economics, and in my new career as a teacher of meditation.

And, like everyone, I’ve seen a lot of boring speeches that made me cringe and wish I was elsewhere.

Everyone should know how to speak from the heart.

Even if your career doesn't demand that you speak before a group of people regularly, you will still be called on to do so at some time or another -- a toast at a wedding, a few words to celebrate the life of a friend, an acknowledgment to your team of a job well done, etc.

Here's how you speak from your heart.

(1) Make sure your voice resonates in your chest when you speak, perhaps by using the exercise I wrote about the day before yesterday, placing your hand on your heart as you make the sound of "ah", looking for the vibration in your chest. This energizes your heart and makes your voice sonorous.

(2) Make sure that you have something to say that really matters to you. Speaking from the heart is about connecting to your feelings.

(3) Think about what you want to say, and refine it until you have three clear points. (You can go as high as five, but three is best. If you really think about it, you probably don't have more than three points to make that are essential.) You want to be able to remember these points, so you don’t need any notes.

(4) Consider the group you are addressing, and your feelings for them. (If you don't know the group, think more broadly about connecting with the group.) Think about how you can help this group; perhaps through a helpful piece of content, or an inspiring story, an uplifting thought, or a beautiful observation. Think of all the ways you have been inspired by what others have said, and strive to pass that feeling on.

(5) Spend some time breathing deeply and rhythmically through your heart while you think about what you will say, why it matters to you, how it will help the group, and what are your three key points. It is natural to feel some anxiety, and tuning in to your full, rhythmic breath will help you channel that anxiety into a good talk.

Try it out and let me know how it works.

Yours in the One Heart,
Asatar

No comments:

Post a Comment